[Owasp-leaders] Should OWASP projects (and in particular ZAP) aim to leave the OWASP nest?

Andrew Muller andrew.muller at owasp.org
Wed Dec 2 14:04:38 UTC 2015

I believe a significant reason OWASP isn't a good home for many projects is
that we are unable to spend funds on people's time. I understand the
reasons but this stymies progress and requires folks like Mozilla to pay
for people's time, which is a rare example of generosity and community
spirit. That said, OWASP is a great promotion vehicle for projects and
generates many volunteer requests (and less action). But these we only two
examples (one good, one bad). There are many more.

I see no point begging for ZAP to remain with OWASP, but rather careful,
and perhaps painful, introspection as to why OWASP is failing projects.
There have been some epic and heartbreaking failures recently, but there is
still much good in it. I think it would be worthwhile having someone
impartial who understands corporate governance review where we're at. This
could funded by the pool of funds available to OWASP and would be a strong
and justifiable investment.

--
*Andrew Muller*