[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Benchmark Project Releases Dynamic Scanning (DAST) Support with 1.2beta

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Mon Aug 17 02:30:55 UTC 2015

Dave,

This seems like a very important effort to me and I'm glad you are
taking it on. There is a very large number of tests.

However, the tests seem spread over a very small set of AppSec categories.

Command Injection    2708
Weak Cryptography    1440
Weak Hashing    1421
LDAP Injection    736
Path Traversal    2630
Secure Cookie Flag    416
SQL Injection    3529
Trust Boundary Violation    725
Weak Randomness    3640
XPATH Injection    347
XSS (Cross-Site Scripting)    3449

I'm worried about this. This limited series of subjects seems far from a
complete way to analyze DAST tools. Also, 416 test cases on the secure
cookie flag alone seems like a heavy concentration of tests in a *very*
narrow topic. I can think of hundreds of other *types* of tests for
authorization and authentication alone.

Do you have plans to dramatically increase the *types* of tests?

The high concentration of tests in a very narrow band of topics worries
me about the accuracy of this benchmark tool. Is that a fair concern?

Aloha,
- Jim