[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] [Owasp-topten] OT10 Risks?

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Tue Sep 30 02:23:03 UTC 2014

Getting terminology "right" for our organization is, I state with respect,
a low bar of achievement.

I suggest we list different choices like Mitre, ISO and perhaps even an
OWASP specific set of definitions, and encourage our resources to state
which definitions they choose to use.

That way we do not "mandate" anything, but •ask• projects to state what
they are using.

Better?

--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

On Sep 29, 2014, at 6:46 PM, Timur 'x' Khrotko (owasp) <timur at owasp.org>
wrote:

(Disclaimer: (a) I represent the devil's advocate here, dissatisfaction
with my provocative statements will be taken instrumentally, not
personally:) b) While T10-criticism is the major point of my election
"campaign", I have no chance to be elected, so consider me as someone
expressing minority opinion here in a harsh way for the sake of a probably
important debate.)

The problem manifests in this very thread,  imo. T10 is the holy thing of
OWASP, criticism regarding it is boring heresy (a topic for trolls), and we
are better to carry on with it as it was established by the fathers of our
church ten years ago in a very different historical situation, carry on
with a comfortably shared illusion that it works well on the fields of
application development, and will in late 2010s too.

0. While there is certain professional criticism regarding the T10, I am
not qualified to represent that issue, and accept T10 as it is as the most
authoritative classification of "the most critical web application security
flaws".

1. Practically T10 is an awareness something. Our own usage recommendation:
"Adopting the OWASP Top Ten is perhaps the most effective first step
towards changing the software development culture within your organization
into one that produces secure code." In order to call T10 a tool we should
have provided instructions how to use this tool. As per the cited
statement, T10 serves an introductory material, an ABC to introduce
vulnerabilities, and in conjunction with the cheat sheets teaches their
mitigation. That's what T10 is, an ABC. Instructions for the further "steps
towards changing the software development culture" are here:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2013-What%27s_Next_for_Organizations
- which generally refers to SAMM, the latter refers to T10 once
("Additional coverage of commonplace software vulnerabilities is also
desirable such as a Top 10 list appropriate to the software being
developed").

2. Probably you have success stories how to take a group of developers and
teach them the basics from A1 to A10, without making them bored at A4.
Probably it would be very helpful to share the case studies of methodology
how to use T10 as the ABC of AppSec in the realworld organizations, how to
let it "simply work". Probably we still leave the real world alone with the
T10, without a map of where and how use it. Making the issue visible does
not prevent developers from giving a toss about it and continue producing
crap code. Appsec practices must become gut practice. Changing habits and
washing minds is an art. Teaching English language is boring and difficult,
to make courses work we have colorful students' books with funny stories
and clever teacher's books with instructions. T10 has to become much more
accessible and usable in order to address the root cause.

3. Let's not promote T10 for purposes it is not suitable for. It can't be
used as an AppSec requirements addendum of a dev contract, its content is
not supposed to be legally binding. We should not support the fallacy that
there are universal AppSec requirements without prior risk assessment. And
business/management has nothing to do with the T10 and its content.

4. Let OWASP be more associated with projects that are more practical
today. Projects that are more suitable for integration into
business/organizational process of software development. And probably let's
create a usable webapp appsec requirements standard.

What's your opinion?

Regards:

timur

PS. War on narcotic drugs - also an example of an extraordinary important
issue failing among other things due to our poor vocabulary and misuse of
concepts. Marijuana and heroin are both referred to as narcotic drugs,
while the harm of the former is million times less than that of the latter.
Alcohol and tobacco are not covered by the anti-drug campaigns, while both
are top narcotic drugs as well, and while social damages and health risks
of the alcohol are much higher than that of marijuana. Etc.