[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-topten] OT10 Risks?

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Wed Sep 24 10:37:05 UTC 2014

Simone,

I am very grateful at how seriously you took my question and how deeply you
answered it. This is super helpful. I'll get back to you off-list with
commentary soon.

Thanks again and well done,
--
Jim Manico
@Manicode

On Sep 24, 2014, at 3:31 AM, Simone Onofri <simone.onofri at gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Jim,

Literally speaking it is correct e.g. a SQL Injection is not a Risk as by
definition, but in the latests editions of TOP 10 are getting into some
analysis like Risk Analysis of most frequent "issues" on Web Application
Security (I am using issues as a generic term) and I think with a little
edits can became also "correct" by definition.

Let me explain with two examples with the most generic defintion of Risk
that can be taken from M_o_R / ISO 31000 and ISO 27000:
 - M_o_R [1]: "An uncertain event or set of events that, should it occur,
will have an effect on the achievement of objectives. A risk is measured by
a combination of the probability of a perceived threat or opportunity
occurring and the magnitude of its impact on objectives. " We can remap on
our context is something like "An uncertain event that, should occur, will
have an effect on the achievement of IT Security objectives". An important
concept in this definition is that it is not bad. It depends. If the effect
is positive we can call it an opportunity (but it is not the case of our
TOP 10), if the effect is negative is it also called a threat in M_o_R.
 - ISO 27000 [2]: "effect of uncertainty on objective" in which effect it
is a deviation (positive or negative) and generating an impact but we are
not sure that the event which actualise the risk. how it is possible to
actualise a risk? if the asset (something that has a value for the
organization) or a control (a measure we can use to modify the risk) has a
vulnerability, which is a weakness that can be exploited by threats (is the
potential cause) during an attack (the attempt to destroy, expose, alter,
disable, steal or gain unauthorized access to or make unauthorized use of
an asset) by someone or something.

In particular in 27000 definition I see more concepts and analysis on
latest TOP 10 version. Taking an example of Injection [3], with a specific
example of a SQL Injection, as described:

We have some assets (e.g. the application, the database, the data into
database) and if we have some weaknesses ( read "Security Weaknesses" -
e.g. no or poor input validation, poor written code with inline sql queries
and not prepared statements), someone or something (read "Threat Agent"),
causing a specific Impact (and I love the separation of Technical and
Business impact in TOP 10).

And the section "How Do I Prevent 'Injection'?" sounds like "which kind of
Controls" I can use to protect.

TOP 10 talks about the Analysis of most common Risks that can occur with
the most frequent weaknesses/vulnerabilities, talking in ISO language.

My two cents,

Simone

[1]
https://www.exin.com/assets/exin/frameworks/126/glossaries/english_glossary_of_terms_mor_201404.pdf