[Owasp-leaders] Speakers at Appsec conferences

Dirk Wetter dirk at owasp.org
Tue Sep 16 14:59:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

sorry that I answer that delayed.

I like Josh's approach and not having a general rule -- at least not for expenses like international travel.

Accomodation could be worth to consider but I would be careful as hotels e.g. in the US are not
a bargain -- from a European perspective. Before doing this I would recommend looking what it would
mean for the revenue. OTOH we need to ask ourselves how raising the ticket prices would affect to
get our message of software security across.

What we could do e.g. changing the CfPs to indicate that if somebody asks for accomodation (or even travel)
assistance there's a chance it's being discussed -- and if the organizers thinks it's worth it he'll get this
from the conference budget.

I also would like to repeat what I told others before. To get high quality talks it's very important not only
to release the CfP, sit there and wait for the submissions dripping in. It is vital to build a good international
program committee with a good network, people committed to sue their network, spend a few cycles, talking to
potential speakers and actively doing speaker acquisition. And a PC chair swinging the whip ;-)
Also I wish that there would be more continuity. To me it looks like the default currently at OWASP is that every
program committee starts from scratch. So e.g. the loose ends from last years <keynote,invited,whatsoever>
speaker which declined because of a conflict in schedule are not picked up.  Little bit like the movie
"Groundhog Day"  ;-)

We also need to keep in mind that OWASP doesn't own or is the only organization doing software security
conferences.  We need to improve otherwise at a certain time we loose fun and revenue.

Cheers,

Dirk

--
German OWASP Board, (Chair AppSec Research 2013)
Send me encrypted mails (Key ID 0xB818C039)