[Owasp-leaders] Speakers at Appsec conferences

Adrian Winckles adrian.winckles at owasp.org
Mon Sep 15 21:48:07 UTC 2014

Dear All

I'd like to back up some of Steven's comments regarding OWASP paying speakers expenses and expand it to cover volunteers in some circumstances

For AppSec Europe in Cambridge  this year where's we'd approached keynotes speakers they were automatically offered hotel and travel expenses (not all claimed as they were either covered by employers or were local anyway.

I'd not be in favour of a blanket no-one can have their costs refunded especially where a volunteer may be providing critical support which would cost the foundation substantially more than if they weren't giving up their time for free.  A prime example of this was at this years conference we had budgeted £30,000 to cover AV hire, streaming, equipment and wages.  The AV team from AppSec Europe 2013 volunteered their services again but obviously being based in a country hosing the conference is substantially different to a 1000 mile round trip so asked if we could help Support their costs. This is a no brainer, 5 team members costing about £600 each for the 4 days rather than the £5000 per day for the industry rate....

Also I think several of conference services we put on also benefited from the foundation supporting several key individuals who would not have been able to contribute otherwise.  I think the key here is to measure the benefit gained by funding some aspects of volunteers or speakers  expenses.

What I'd like to see is some form of mechanism by which the conference organising committee in conjunction with OWASP conference staff can build in either a contingency fighting fund in case of inability to pay or as a bursary approach to covers some of a speakers costs.  The key here is to build it in to the conference planning regime in some form I believe.

My two pennies worth

Thanks

Adrian

OWASP UK Cambridge Chapter Leader