[Owasp-leaders] Speakers at Appsec conferences

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Sep 11 21:54:22 UTC 2014

It's OWASP practice not to pay speaker hotel/travel?  I don't think I've
ever seen that written anywhere.  In fact, we offer pots of money like
OWASP on the Move funds to do the opposite.  And I'm pretty sure that
speaker travel is something that is explicitly allowed in the Chapter
Leader Handbook.  In the case of AppSecUSA, nobody ever told us it was
somebody else's decision so we just assumed it was ours to make just like
all of the other decisions.  As long as the budget is set up to accommodate
it, I can't really see the Foundation caring about it.  But if someone
needs an explicit "Yes, conference organizers can pay speaker expenses if
it makes sense to do so", then I'm all for it as long as they figure out
how to account for it financially.

~josh