[Owasp-leaders] Speakers at Appsec conferences

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Thu Sep 11 21:58:08 UTC 2014

Hi Jerry,

hm. I can see some good reasons where I would like to pay for some
speaker's travel expenses.

(before starting: up to this date, I was in the fortunate position that
I never needed to ask for money from OWASP for travel in my function as
board member or speaker. And I think if other funding is available to a
person, that should be used first and leave more money for the
foundation's work.)

Having said that, I very much think that this situation can be very
different for other speakers and paying for a regional flight or hotel
can be a massive burden on a speaker's holiday budget. And many speakers
don't have company expense budgets and could not afford to do this
basically using their year holiday budgets to speak at an OWASP
conference - even though OWASP is great fun, the spouses may not agree
that this justifies spending all their holiday money on OWASP without them.

Some examples where I think it is very good that OWASP can pay speaker
travel (flight and/or hotel):
- chapters inviting specific speakers to present at their chapter event
about topics that are exciting for their community
- AppSec conferences: frankly quite a few of external keynote speakers
will require travel expenses to be paid. Otherwise they would have to
pay out of their private pocket and not come.
- OWASP tours where we help bring speakers from within a region to
different chapters to present OWASP topics there and exchange ideas
- allow chapter leaders and project leaders to attend chapter and
project workshops (e.g. at AppSec conferences) to help further improve
their chapters and projects.

IMHO, these are good reasons to support travel for speakers if necessary
and if it can be afforded by the hosting chapter.

Just my 2cents.

Best wishes, Tobias