[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Global Industry Committee

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Thu Sep 11 19:17:17 UTC 2014

Hi Bev,

Fully support!
this is great initiative!
Yes, it would be great to restart the Global Industry Committee.

When the GIC got shut down in Spring 2013, I tried to reboot it or at
least keep part of its duties alive but at the time unfortunately the
board decided against that. It is nice that we we can now breath new
life into this.

IMHO some of the goals could be:
It's goals are to expand awareness of and promote the inclusion of
software security best practices in Industry, Government, Academia and
regulatory agencies and be a voice for industry.

This will be accomplished through outreach; including presentations,
development of position papers and collaborative efforts with other
entities.

Activities like:
- advocating industry interests and building relationship with industry
and eventually improving our corporate membership and influence.
- initiating new industry related projects and building synergy between
these industry related projects and promoting them (e.g. Industry links,
CISO guide, etc.).
- it could also help to keep the liaisons with various industry bodies
better organised and alive (today it seems quite ad-hoc. Sometimes OWASP
members get on these other organisations' working groups, advisory
boards etc., but for us as OWASP, I don't see us getting much from the
relationship with the other organisations.)

And in the medium term, it would also be cool if this group could help
generate new corporate memberships from industry companies. Industry
could benefit a lot more from our OWASP projects. What is missing is to
make it easy accessible and promote what we have. We just need to
promote more the use of OWASP to them and hopefully more may be open to
sponsor OWASP.

Just a thought.

Tobias