[Owasp-leaders] jowasp.org

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Fri Sep 5 00:27:19 UTC 2014

Colin,

The reputation of OWASP is something that is covered in our brand usage
rules.
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Marketing/Resources#tab=BRAND_GUIDELINES

The security of OWASP.org is not an issue if we use a separate domain
that is flat-file HTML/CSS/JS only, which is my intention.

The admin resource should be minor since my vision was a flat file
website that points to owasp.org resources.

The impact on other volunteers is something that I hope will be positive.

You also stated...

 > Focusing on just say the language idea, if there is java. but not
php., what does that indicate to outsiders?

Eh, that we have better resources in one area but no others? I don't
understand your concern here. We need to experiment otherwise OWASP will
go nowhere. As a meritocracy, effort should be encouraged if it's in a
positive direction supported by our bylaws and mission.

Donald Knuth, someone who I think is he father of modern programming,
was quoted as saying "We should forget about small efficiencies, say
about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil.
Yet we should not pass up our opportunities in that critical 3%."

I feel the same about OWASP. Let's not try to optimize this up front.
Let's get at least a piece of this working, see what sticks, and we can
optimize later.

Aloha,
Jim