[Owasp-leaders] Publishing project

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 10:47:45 UTC 2014

Hi Nikola,

OWASP is an extremely decentralized organization: as a project leader you
can and should do whatever you think is necessary for your project
(including releasing it) without asking for permission.
So go for it :)

My take on it is that OWASP projects are open source projects that have
aligned themselves with OWASP.
OWASP has accepted your project as one that is appropriate and suitable for
the organization.

You can do anything you like with your project, including removing it from
OWASP.
OWASP can likewise decide that your project is no longer suitable and also
remove it from OWASP. Its not a common occurrence, but it can happen.
OWASP cannot remove you as project leader from your project - it does not
have that 'right'.

If you are about to do something that you think is potentially
controversial then I'd recommend asking for advice and feedback from fellow
leaders, either on this list or specific individuals you trust.
Or you can decide that its easier to ask for forgiveness rather than
permission ;)

If you are seen to be leading your project badly then 'normal' open source
conventions apply: you with find it increasingly hard to attract and retain
both contributors and users.
And your project could be forked by anyone else, OWASP member or not.
In theory this fork could in time be accepted as an OWASP project.

OK, that was all off topic ;)

A slightly more relevant topic is how to publicize your releases.
I would definitely recommend posting again to this list.
However I'm not sure on how suitable this list is for publicizing _every_
release.
I tend to post about 'major' ZAP releases here, but not bugfix releases.I
do the same on BugTraq <http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1>.
I always tweet about every release, and its always worth posting to
ToolsWatch.org.
I always used to post to http://freecode.com/ but thats no longer being
maintained :(
Can anyone else recommend any other good options?

Cheers,

Simon

--
OWASP ZAP <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/ZAP> Project leader