[Owasp-leaders] Growing Your Chapter + 90% / 10% Splits

Julian Berton julian.berton at owasp.org
Tue Nov 18 00:40:30 UTC 2014

As Andrew pointed out OWASP Melbourne chapter has been using Meetup for
just longer than a year now. Its not perfect but overall a platform such as
Meetup definitely makes managing/growing OWASP chapters much easier for
both the leaders and members.

Here is a quick list of some of the pros and cons:

Pros:
- RSVP feature - even though its not 100% accurate it gives indications of
numbers for each meetup. also gives us an indication of active members
- allows the use of google analytics so we can track page views and growth
and how far our marketing efforts have gone.
- user friendly interface for adding and viewing chapter meetings
- too many features to mention! eg. commenting on meetup, export meeting to
calendar, sending updates to select groups of users(i.e. only RSVPed
members)
- develops a mini social community, more so than a mailing list imo
- and the list goes on... can post photos of meetups, allows adding of
sponsors logos, option for members to rate and give feedback on meetups, etc
- BIG ONE FOR GROWING -  cross promoting of meetup groups. In Melbourne
Meetup.com is used heavily by developers, sysadmins etc to host meetups. We
use this to get more developers interested and aware of OWASP Melbourne. As
an example there is a Melbourne Mobile meetup group (~750 members) which we
contacted when we did our meetups on both Android and iOS security. They
announced our meetup along with a few other related meetups and we got a
massive boost in numbers attending and number of signups. We had ~80 people
compared with ~20 people from previous events. Another advantage is that
the barrier to entry for existing Meetup members to join other meetups is
very low.
- more transparent overall, everyone can see how active a meetup is with
respect to both number of meetups and number of attendees.

Cons:
- its not a free service. Costs $89.94 every 6 months :(
- new members will have to sign up to Meetup.com to RSVP or get
notifications of new meetups, higher barrier to entry (note though that you
dont have to sign up to view the meetup details)

As far as KPI's of chapter activity are concerned. I am not aware of how
its currently done... but once you have signed up to Meetup.com it becomes
very much like a mailing list. Also it is not necessary to signup to
Meetup.com to view all current and passed meetups (assuming you dont have
the meetings set to private). So as long as a link to the meetup page is
provided on the chapter wiki this shouldn't be a problem right?

Thanks

Julian
OWASP Melbourne
@JulianBerton