[Owasp-leaders] Growing Your Chapter + 90% / 10% Splits

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Wed Nov 12 16:29:57 UTC 2014

> Now that this experiment has had over (12) months WE need to determine
> DO WE ALLOW IT and modify the policy in the chapter handbook see:
> https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:Chapter_Handbook OR do we
> tell all chapters to go back to using the WIKI for chapter meeting
> management

I was Chairing the Chapters Committee the last time the Chapter Handbook
was revised.  I'm not aware of anyplace in there that it bans (or even
suggests banning) Meetup.  Here's the places Meetup is mentioned in that
document:

   - 3.3 Chapter Naming - Tells you the suggested naming convention for
   your Meetup group.
   - 4.5 Social Media - Suggests using Meetup as a place to promote your
   meetings.
   - 7.2.9 Meeting Promotion - Again suggests using Meetup as a place to
   promote your meetings.
   - 7.2.11 RSVPs - Suggests using Meetup to send event invites.

I don't see anyplace where it suggests that meetup would be disallowed.  In
fact, quite the opposite.  Using Meetup is nothing new or special for OWASP
chapters and I'm not sure why we are suggesting to change a policy and
making people feel like something will be banned, when that is clearly not
the case.  The *only* requirement that I am aware of relating to this is
that a chapter using Meetup must still update the information on their
Chapter wiki page and should still promote via their mailing list.  This is
the absolute minimum expectation for a chapter leader.  Using Meetup and
other services for promotion is, and always has been, strongly encouraged
by the OWASP Foundation.  I don't see that changing anytime soon, if ever.

~josh