[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] [OWASP-chapters] Growing Your Chapter + 90% / 10% Splits

Akash Mahajan akash.mahajan at owasp.org
Wed Nov 12 12:47:24 UTC 2014

Are there any chapters using anything else apart from meetup for managing
meetings and interacting with the participants?

So far in Bangalore, we are using the Wiki to update the news about the
meetings but asking folks to register using the OWASP Google Drive Forms.
It is a little cumbersome but we might give meetup a try if we start doing
more than 1 meet in a month.

On 12 November 2014 13:23, Tobias <tobias.gondrom at owasp.org> wrote:

> I think it should be up to the chapter to see what works best with their
> local community.
> Some use meetup (btw. so does Singapore, too), some use Facebook groups
> (Hong Kong, Malaysia and Thailand) successfully. Whatever works.
>
> But under one condition: it must be well documented and easy to find from
> the web page. That means:
> 1. the chapter lead must document this well on the chapter Wiki page
> 2. he should frequently copy posts to the mailing-list and better also
> actively monitor the list for new subscribers (yes, you can configure
> notifications in the mailing-list admin UI) and actively inform them that
> this chapter is deviating from the default.
>
> I would definitely be against moving all OWASP to meetup, as IMHO the
> minority today is using meetup and it seems unfair to impose a switching
> cost on everyone for the benefit of a few.
>
> However, if we know how many chapters are actively using Meetup today,
> maybe we can arrange a special deal with them so that our chapters can use
> the service cheaper or for free.
> (If you like to work towards that goal, please let us know and volunteer
> for collecting this information from all chapter leads...)
>
> Best, Tobias
>

> On 10/11/14 19:23, Andrew van der Stock wrote:
>
>> OWASP Sydney uses it, and they've been very successful with it. Ditto
>> OWASP Melbourne, which has had some very successful meetings on the
>> back of moving to Meetup.
>>
>> My only concern is about the KPI's of chapter activity; if the mail
>> list is dead, but Meetup active, this doubles the workload of
>> Foundation staff, who should be checking for the minimum four meetings
>> per year to ensure dead chapters are retired or coaxed back to life.
>>
>> I'd be happy if we moved en masse to Meetup, and that's where chapter
>> activity KPI's are measured, rather than sticking with mail lists.
>>
>> Norman / Julian - do you want to chime in about your experience with
>> Meetup?
>>
>> thanks
>> Andrew
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 Really wise, Tom.
>>>
>>> Some suggestions
>>>
>>> 1) Show up early for meetings
>>> 2) Signage
>>> 3) Welcome folks

--
Warm regards,
Akash Mahajan

*That Web Application Security Guy* | +91 99 805 271 82
akashm.com | *@makash* on twitter | linkd.in/webappsecguy
*OWASP Bangalore Chapter Lead | null Community Manager*