[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] [OWASP-chapters] Growing Your Chapter + 90% / 10% Splits

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Wed Nov 12 07:53:48 UTC 2014

I think it should be up to the chapter to see what works best with their
local community.
Some use meetup (btw. so does Singapore, too), some use Facebook groups
(Hong Kong, Malaysia and Thailand) successfully. Whatever works.

But under one condition: it must be well documented and easy to find
from the web page. That means:
1. the chapter lead must document this well on the chapter Wiki page
2. he should frequently copy posts to the mailing-list and better also
actively monitor the list for new subscribers (yes, you can configure
notifications in the mailing-list admin UI) and actively inform them
that this chapter is deviating from the default.

I would definitely be against moving all OWASP to meetup, as IMHO the
minority today is using meetup and it seems unfair to impose a switching
cost on everyone for the benefit of a few.

However, if we know how many chapters are actively using Meetup today,
maybe we can arrange a special deal with them so that our chapters can
use the service cheaper or for free.
(If you like to work towards that goal, please let us know and volunteer
for collecting this information from all chapter leads...)

Best, Tobias