[Owasp-leaders] [OWASP ASVS] Obfuscation?

Yvan Boily yvanboily at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 22:25:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org> wrote:

> Yvan,
>
> Your post is actually about two separate things:
>
> 1) Action: The Board acknowledged the complaints from various members of
> the Foundation and had our Compliance Officer, Martin Knobloch, conduct an
> investigation into the matter.  Martin concluded his independent
> investigation into his actions and provided his report to the Board in
> September.  My mind is failing me as to whether it was the September or
> October Board Meeting (pretty sure it was at AppSecUSA on 9/16/2014), and
> the agenda and voting doesn't reflect it (a problem I've asked to get
> rectified), but the Board did vote to extend his membership ban and not
> give reconsideration for membership for a significant period of time.  I
> don't remember offhand the exact details in terms of timeframe as many
> different options were discussed.  Regardless, your suggestion that the
> Board has failed to take action on this issue is misinformed.

Glad to hear it!  Can we get an amendment to the process that when action
is taken a complainant is notified?

> 2) Enforcement: This is where things get tricky and is largely outside of
> the Board's hands.  It becomes an Operations Team issue to try and figure
> out how to enforce the fact that someone is not allowed to participate in
> OWASP.  I think that there was supposed to be some discussion with Matt in
> terms of figuring out how to handle it technically, but, from the recent
> message, it doesn't appear that it was done.  Not sure where the ball was
> dropped there, but I'm sure Paul can look into it as ED.

The technical enforcement aspect is only one part of it.  Technical
measures to curtail participation are a rathole, especially for security
folks since many of us have "figure out how to bypass controls" as part of
our of our professional repertoire.

The second part is to notify the community that a person has been blocked
from participation; without the knowledge that the ban is in place, we
don't have the means to advise folks that their participation is unwelcome
due to past behavior.  This is important to both increase awareness that
OWASP will uphold it's expectations for all community members, and to take
the strain of enforcing the ban off of individual contributors or staff.

Thanks for everyone's work on this, and sorry to have to stir the pot on
this issue again.

Cheers,
Yvan