[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Mobile Top 10 - potential conflict of interest in M10

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Tue Nov 4 09:19:03 UTC 2014

Obfuscation just slows the attacker from finding hard-coded secrets, it
does not stop them. This is why I personally think these
obfuscation-centric defenses do not belong in any developer-centric top
ten, nor should they be used as an excuse to mask horrifically bad
practices like hard coded secrets.

 >  Code that is not obfuscated can also be easily abused to create
rogue malicious apps, especially for Android.

Now this IS a good reason to use obfuscation technology, but again, it's
not a savior only a speed bump. The only way to really stop rogue
applications is to monitor various app stores and report them in a
timely fashion, unfortunately.

My 2 idealistic cents,
- Jim