[Owasp-leaders] OWASP ESAPI Project Status

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Sun Mar 30 19:40:44 UTC 2014

Maybe a small question:
What do you think we should do with outdated projects that are not
maintained for a long time, like e.g. ESAPI.

What I proposed in this case was:
Contact project leader and get a status of the situation. Also using a
simple survey among users to get a picture of the actual status. People who
do not use the project cannot say much or judge a project.
I took the work of downloading every flagship project and look at the code,
read their documentation, also what the community was saying and the amount
of activity in their discussion boards or groups.

Categorized Flagship & other  projects based on activity to a subcategory
such as
"Flagship-Active" ==> Project continuous to develops regularly and counts
with a good amount of contributors: Example: ZAP

"Flagship-Stable"==> It has reach stability but no major contributions or
changes are been done, however is widely adopted by the community
example==> Most document projects fall in this category. However if the
document has not been updated in a long time, it may fall into "recession"

"Flagship-Recession"==> Project is in the brink of becoming obsolete.It
 has not active contributors or users.==> For example, certain modules of
ESAPI but some are very good and actively used

 A flagship project that is not active should be set aside but not before
we speak with the project leader and provide him a chance for surviving if
there is a chance. If not then, we should set aside this projects as
something they were (Flasghip) but has get cold.

Projects with Recession label should be set apart. We must consider if due
to technological changes, are they not interesting to the community any
more(example ESAPI.NET, .NET framework has much stronger security features
so this seems like becoming obsolete read this threat ==>
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4318410/is-esapi-net-a-dead-project

comment from one user: Dead for .NET perhaps. Alive and kicking for Java.
(I've implemented it in two corporations, one fortune-500 and one fortune
1000) ESAPI is also used as the de-facto training tool for security
remediation by SANS and Veracode alike. -
avgvstvs<http://stackoverflow.com/users/557153/avgvstvs>
 Mar 20 at 15:22<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4318410/is-esapi-net-a-dead-project#comment34297789_7501617>
)