[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp_project_leader_list] OWASP Project Manager Report: March 28, 2014

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sat Mar 29 06:43:32 UTC 2014

Samantha,

In this report you say:

"My suggestion to those that are so very quick to criticizes the hard
work of others is to please familiarize yourself with the actual efforts
that have gone into these endeavors. If you see an issue with something
that we have done, please let us know, and I welcome you to pitch in and
help out. Many of our processes and procedures are dependent on
volunteer contributions, and if we have no support in these areas, then
there isn't much we can do on the operations side as the resources we
require are simply not available."

That was most certainly me. I have been concerned that the various code
projects at the flagship level are not deserving of that status. I have
also requested that several projects I assist or manage be evaluated and
it's been 6+ months with no activity on that front - or better put, as a
project manager of 3 OWASP projects that I've requested evaluation for,
no one has contacted me as a project manager about the status of those
reviews, so I imagine other project managers in this situation have
gotten the same.

What made me flip from "patience on this" to "alerting the board and
Sarah that I am very concerned about what is going on" is that finally
when you asked me to distribute a form to help folks evaluate Dependency
Check, it was nonsensical. It was a list of OpenSAMM categorizes that
should be used to evaluate a companies SDLC; categories that really have
nothing to do with OWASP project quality evaluation. It makes me ask,
what is going on? And I'm very upset that this form is being using the
evaluate other projects, it a step in the wrong direction. I'd like to
see this fixed really soon.

Thank you.
- Jim