[Owasp-leaders] Free training at major OWASP AppSec conferences

Danny Harris danny.harris at owasp.org
Tue Mar 25 21:04:36 UTC 2014

I may be wrong, but isn't that the point of the OWASP Academy Portal
Project?

--Danny

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Eoin Keary <eoin.keary at owasp.org
<mailto:eoin.keary at owasp.org> > wrote:

We (Jim and I) have shared our material for the last 2 years. Who else is
willing to share? Lets gather links to all free training material.

Eoin Keary

Owasp Global Board

+353 87 977 2988 <tel:%2B353%2087%20977%202988>

On 25 Mar 2014, at 17:23, Jerry Hoff <jerry at owasp.org
<mailto:jerry at owasp.org> > wrote:

I think one major point is we should agree on an official OWASP curriculum
and make the "free training" open to all.   The training materials should be
free, open source and standardized - then all OWASP members we can do free
training globally.

--
Jerry Hoff

@jerryhoff
jerry at owasp.org <mailto:jerry at owasp.org>

On Mar 26, 2014, at 2:20 AM, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org
<mailto:josh.sokol at owasp.org> > wrote:

I think this is a situation where it is a net positive either way and in
situations like these I'd prefer to leave it to the leaders running the
conference to make the decision as they have first-hand knowledge of budgets
and expectation.  I will say that there is empirical data supporting free
training as we did this at AppSecUSA 2012 in Austin.  There, Jim Manico did
a free bootcamp for ~75 people one day and did a similar paid training with
Eoin Keary for 14 attendees the next.  We still managed to raise almost
$100k in revenue off training alone for the event.

~josh

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM, psiinon <psiinon at gmail.com
<mailto:psiinon at gmail.com> > wrote:

Leaders,

There has been a discussion on the AppSec EU 2014 list regarding the pros
and cons of giving free training at major OWASP AppSec conferences.

A _very_ quick summary: Free training is a great way to get our message
across, but can (and it is claimed does) eat into our revenue, which will
therefore limit what else we can achieve.

A poll was suggested, but it has been pointed out that this might be
counterproductive without a more detailed discussion regarding the full
impact this sort of free training could have.

I can understand that, but I would really like to hear the communities views
on this.

I hope thats not too biased an introduction (I'm sure my views will become
apparent soon;) and that it is enough to get the discussion started...

Cheers,

Simon

--
OWASP ZAP <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/ZAP>  Project leader