[Owasp-leaders] In Samantha's words: "Why I resigned my role at OWASP"

Dinis Cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Jun 16 14:18:25 UTC 2014

for the record, I wanted Samantha's story and views to be known, since that
is the least she deserves. That is why I supported the sharing of her story.

Yes this is a mess, but it is not something that happened in the last
couple weeks.

I think we need to use this as an opportunity to learn and make sure we
don't repeat the mistakes done in the past

some more comments below.....

On 16 June 2014 14:51, johanna curiel curiel <johanna.curiel at owasp.org>
wrote:

> So Did Sarah lied when she said she was leaving because of the baby?

I think 'lied' is a very strong word in this case and not correct. The rest
I can't comment.

> Why didn't Samantha mentioned this before? Why now after she quit?

I think Samantha's story explains why she didn't (or couldn't)

I actually think that this was one of the (few) mistakes Samantha did. She
started working at OWASP in an environment that was defaulting to *'not
share information*' vs '*share by default, and only what really,really,
really needs to be private, should not be shared*', so it was hard for her
to break the '*behind the scenes*' model

And if you think my analysis above is wrong, just ask how many OWASP
leaders are surprised by hearing Samantha's story (which again, even it is
a bit bias, it is still quite shocking, at least in an organisation like
OWASP)

> What are the proofs that all these accusations are true until the case
> resolves?

I believe in Samantha's words, and some explanations are due. That said, we
should be careful in not digging to much, and in fact, I think there is an
olive branch currently at play, which could help on the healing process.

> What kind of conclusions, as a volunteer and member of OWASP do I have to
> make out of this conflict between the Board vs Samantha?

First, this should not affect the volunteer and existing efforts. OWASP's
community is alive and well, and it would be a major problem if we stopped
or slowed it down.

For me this episode shows the problems that exist with the current OWASP
Board structure (and perceived/expected/abused powers), and I hope that we
can change it for the better

>  I have too many questions and I don't see how this helps to build a
> community of volunteers.

well, worse is having this kind of issues going on without major awareness
of it

> I think if you all wanted to wash the dirty laundry, Samantha and the
> board should have spoken a way to do this in front of the community.

They tried, but since that was done behind close doors, we don't know what
was said (which is again part of the problem here)

> This all seems very low to me.

Well, ideally, we can start a new era of transparency where cases like this
don't brew in the background until one day they see the light of day in a
big bang

When they say that ‘Sunlight Is the Best Disinfectant’, it is implied that
sometimes it is not very positive experience all round

Dinis