[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Board Election - What do you want in a board candidate?

Sarah Baso sarah.baso at owasp.org
Tue Jul 15 16:28:03 UTC 2014

All -

Sorry I am just getting to this thread, as I was out yesterday for the
latter part of the day.

TLDR -

1. Kelly is in the process of following up with the candidates to see if
they have any issues with posting their information to the wiki now instead
of the August 19th date, which was posted to the election timeline.

2. Election committee or volunteers - awesome, if people want to step up
and get involved/help out, this is more than welcome.  Sign up here
<http://owasp.force.com/volunteers/GW_Volunteers__VolunteersJobListing>

3. Changing the election timeline/rules stated on the election page -
generally, no problem to evaluate and make changes year to year.  I did not
think it was appropriate to change mid-cycle based on a board request
without good reason, especially since there were multiple opportunities for
the board to comment and make adjustments before the call for candidates in
early May.

##########

I am going to back up a bit and explain some of the other background on
this for those of you looking for more information:

The board election pages, going back to 2009, have been tagged with the
Board Election category for easy access to previous years: [[Category:Board
Elections]] <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:Board_Elections>

Elections generally were overseen by the membership committee and
increasingly since Kelly Santalucia became involved with the Foundation and
providing support to the membership committee (before its closing), she
provided the primary operational support driving timelines, workflow and
communicating clear expectations about the election.  Dan Cornell has also
been instrumental in volunteering to help with the election itself,
liaising with simply voting.

In the past, Kelly has asked for volunteer help (and there was an
initiative for volunteers to sign up, which no one had signed up for - I
have now reposted that initiative and anyone interested can sign up:
http://owasp.force.com/volunteers/GW_Volunteers__VolunteersJobListing ).
 Dan Cornell has been great about helping as needed with the actual set up
in Simply Voting and Mark Miller has volunteered to do the candidate
interviews this year.  Certainly , if others are willing to take on the
policy and procedures of the election, that would be welcome.

In terms of the posting/not posting of candidates immediately, up to last
year, candidates just added their name and why me to the wiki page.  There
seemed to be a small amount of candidates putting themselves into the
running (especially outside of incumbents).  So, last year we (the
operations team) decided to try a new approach to see if it made a
difference in the number of candidates.  This was based on some informal
feedback of individuals who said they were interested in the position, but
based on the others that already had submitted their name, they didn't
think they were popular enough to win... so they didn't even try.  We
decided to keep all the names and why me's of the people running until the
submission deadline and then post the people that submitted.  There was a
much larger pool of applicants (more than double), which seemed like a
success. Although, admittedly there can be many reasons for more applicants
outside of the one we thought might be the case...

This year, we followed the same process as last year and included a review
of this for the Board of Directors, and no responses or feedback was