[Owasp-leaders] How2play Community Engagement OWASP Edition

Avi Douglen douglen at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 6 10:00:00 UTC 2014

While bringing your security stuff to developer meetups, as both Jim and Bill suggested, is great, and probably would give the quickest wins – another way is to have just really amazing talks that pertain directly to developers. It does often take a change in language, to give devs what they are interested in, and not focus on security folks. I.e. not just another kind of XSS, or another way of findings vulnerabilities, or whatever, but more on the coding side, or even dev processes. E.g. “How to use unit testing for security (STDD)”, or “Agile SDL” (both of those are talks we had, among others, at OWASP Israel that drew a large developer audience).

You would still need to publicize these talks to developer groups, but local LinkedIn groups, mailing lists, even Twitter could help get the word out. But the key is not just a one-time thing, but consistently high quality of talks over time – and make sure to deliver awesomeness! You want them to keep coming back – and bring their friends next time!

Cheers,

Avi D