[Owasp-leaders] Protocol for Partnerships & Co-Marketing

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Fri Jan 24 23:09:22 UTC 2014

Yes, you are exactly correct, Boris:

"OWASP is a global volunteer organization. That means that we need global
governance rules but not a central approval procedure for local decisions
with local impact.

Leaders should be free to promote OWASP  in their own responsibility as
long as they do not create obligations (in particular financial) with
impact outside of their own chapter."

Here are a few examples that have "created problems" that fall outside of
what the majority of local agreements entail.  It is these types of
situations which are being called out and for which we are requesting
chapter leaders to involve the foundation

*  A local chapter is offering a free one year OWASP membership to attend
an event - in this situation, it's great that the chapter is encouraging
membership, but there are logistics around how that will be managed and how
the individuals will obtain their membership

*  A local chapter has told a potential sponsor that we (OWASP) will
promote their event (or product, or training, etc) via OWASP channels like
the connector in exchange for free meeting space.

*  A local chapter gives permission for a third party to post the OWASP
logo on their company website in exchange for meeting space.  In this
particular situation, the exact opposite should have happened - the local
chapter agrees to post the third party logo on their local chapter page.

In all of these situations, the local chapter has entered into an agreement
that creates obligations outside of their own chapter.  Agreed that 95% of
the time, there is no issue and no need for any formal agreements.  There
are many situations that do arise though that impact global operations, our
community as a whole, or could potentially impact the OWASP brand.  It is
these agreements that should be brought forward.

If there is ever any doubt about the content of an agreement, just ask.
 The goal is to protect YOU - the chapter leaders - from harm or dispute.

Additional information can be found in the chapter leader handbook.
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Chapter_Leader_Handbook and I expect the
next revision of the handbook will have some more detail on this with some
examples.

I sincerely thank you for everything you do for OWASP.

Please feel free to reach out to me or to any of the staff if you have
questions now or in the future.

Kate Hartmann
Operations Director
1-301-275-9403