[Owasp-leaders] ISO/IEC 27034

Jonathan Marcil jonathan.marcil at owasp.org
Tue Jan 21 18:45:39 UTC 2014

Hi Tobias,

now that I know better what a liaison is from an ISO/IEC point of view
and I've been thinking about the dynamics while being in the AdHoc
meeting and seeing how it works, I got some ideas.

There's some considerations I base my thinking on:
- ISO/IEC is international organization and meetings/sessions are in
person all around the world
- OWASP is very decentralized and that's a good thing
- Liaison is centralization

I think we should approach ISO/IEC with a dual strategy that is using a
main OWASP "liaison agent" while having a "field agent".

The "liaison agent" would be someone that is in touch with one SC in
particular within ISO/IEC. That person should know about the wide
subject related with the SC. One of his task alongside regular liaison
stuff (transmission of communications between officials) would be to
find "field agent" and prepare them and send them to meetings.

The "field agent" is an OWASP representative that is within the
geographical location of the ISO/IEC meeting and assist in order to do
the live action stuff such as asking questions or taking notes for the
liaison agent. He doesn't need to be an expert in the related SC subject
since he is backed by the liaison agent. He can be a chapter leader, a
project leader or event just a member as long as the liaison agent trust
him.

For example, the liaison agent knows that there is a SC27/WG4 meeting in
Hong Kong next month. He is aware of what will be going on and prepare
questions while consulting the OWASP community or board. He then finds
an OWASP field agent based in Hong Kong, brief him and book him for the
meeting. Afterwards, the field agent report back to the liaison agent.

Liaison agent can also act without the need of any field agent by using
emails or other remote meanings. It can be a small team if desired.

Field agent can also decide to join in and help the liaison agent online
as well. A liaison agent can also be field agent at the same time if the
opportunity is there.

The major advantage I see is that we encourage collaboration within
OWASP and we get to use our worldwide reach, by having a spot like any
company with budget that fly their employees to the meetings.

The major disadvantage of that strategy is that the liaison agent would
still be the bottleneck, but we can scale by having WG liaisons instead
of just SC liaisons.

-ACTIONS-
Right now, if OWASP desire to go with it, we need to work on having a
SC27 and SC22 liaison agents for ISO 27034 and TR 24772. I can do the
field work for Montreal. Sebastien Gioria is a good candidate for
liaison/kick-off. This week we actually plan on Thursday to kick-off for
SC22/TR 24772 and it will be open to all on Hangout/YouTube.

Mid term we can also check what type of liaison we want
(http://www.iec.ch/members_experts/refdocs/iec/isoiecdir-1%7Bed9.0%7Den.pdf
page 20 #1.17.2) but this can comes after making connection with ISO/IEC.

I'll let you decide if the board needs to make a statement or have
someone to join us in the kick-off or just talk to me and/or Sebastien
afterwards.

If anyone wants to join in as a liaison or to help with kick-off, please
contact me by email I'll arrange something for Thursday from 10AM
Eastern Time to 5PM EST.

Thanks,

- Jonathan