[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] RSA and the application of Justice

Sastry Tumuluri sastry.tumuluri at owasp.org
Wed Jan 8 17:13:29 UTC 2014

I agree.

We (OWASP) should not "try" / "judge" RSA or anyone else for that matter.
Pulling out is not the same as "dispensing justice".

Conversely if pullout = _punishment_, then going there = _endorsement_.
That means OWASP endorsement would play its small part (however small) in
emboldening future collaborators (irrespective of whether RSA is one or
not) to merrily backdoor their products without any fear of repercussions.

Pulling out could simply be an expression of what we stand for and what we
don't.
It could also be, as Josh (and earlier John Wilander) put it, "distancing
ourselves until the the matter is cleared up". Somewhat milder than the
above, but still a valid one.

In some ways, some of the differences (not all) in our reactions is
probably because we are inferring _judgement_ or _punishment_ into the
cause and/or effect of the pullout. I believe it need not be.

One other line of thought I noticed: "Let's stick to our mission of
training and raising awareness; doesn't matter where and beside whom"...
Unfortunately, that is far too close to the third part of this sequence
(the sequence itself is necessary to establish the context):
1. "I only made the gun... I didn't pull the trigger"
2. "I only sold it to the guy... he did look shady but who am I to judge
him... and of course I didn't pull the trigger"
3. "I don't know if he did it, but I'll continue to go to bed with him
until he's put in jail"

There is of course a worse end to the sequence:
4. "I know he's out because of lack of conclusive evidence; But hey, he's
rich/influential; so there is no harm in continuing to court him because
his guilt may never be proven".

The difference between #3 and #4 is that #3 is a genuine Ostrich; #4 is
merely pretending to be one.
The irony (and recursion) here is that "this line of thought too can never
be proven" -- especially when hidden behind righteous arguments (e.g.,
"innocent until proven guilty", "who are we to judge?" and so forth). I
realize that this is a damning insinuation; but my intent is not to hurt.
After seeing all the openness and transparency in this thread (I am
floored), the _worst_ that we can be accused of is being an Ostrich (#3
above); not pretending to be one.

I genuinely hope that we can recognize this danger for what it is... not
merely react in indignation.

--Sas3--