[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Board decision that I don't agree with

Wong Onn Chee ocwong at usa.net
Mon Jan 6 03:00:09 UTC 2014

Hi Tobias,

My vote as follow:

1. "Should OWASP give a developer training at the RSA conference?"

Choice: Yes

2. Should OWASP make a public statement to the effect that
subverting/weakening crypto is a bad idea.

Choice: Yes

Disclosure: I am the OWASP Singapore chapter lead and Singapore is
complicit with NSA as part of their global surveillance network,
something I am not so proud of.

After reading the valid comments by fellow leaders, let me share my
$0.02 on this topic.

The disclosed abuses by NSA perhaps arise from the kneejerk reactions to
the unfortunate 9/11 incidents.
Overly broad powers were given to certain bodies without proper
oversight or governance, all in the name of national security.
Now, with 20/20 hindsight, the downside of all these kneejerk reactions
are unravelling in front of our eyes.

Similarly, if we start OWASP down this slippery slope of empowering
OWASP to blacklist support for a particular entity (similar to the 9/11
kneejerk reactions), will such powers be open to abuse?
Why stop at RSA? How about Google, Microsoft and Yahoo? How about
Siemens (stuxnet)? How about Huawei?
How about countries deemed to be the top sources of webapp attacks?
Should we ban chapters in those countries and withdraw any official
engagement with these countries?
Where do we stop?

One can say that we can adopt an open "democratic" process to avoid abuses.
But all of us have seen abuses through lobbying by special interest
groups at international level, such as ISO (Remember the OOXML fast
track episode?), UN (Security Council where excessive powers are placed
in a minority group) etc.

My view is that OWASP should not start something that may lead to
possible future abuses.
Blacklisting support for entities subjectively goes against the OPEN
principle (the first word of OWASP) upon which OWASP was founded on.

Nevertheless, I am for making official statements/stands that OWASP is
against anything that weakens software security.
But instead of slamming the doors on the "guilty" parties, why not
embrace them and encourage them to be more open and be more secure?
This brings us closer to the founding principles of OWASP.

Thank you for spending time to read my ranting above.
Cheers and have a safe 2014! :-)

Best Regards
Onn Chee

"I say all security vulnerabilities are software-based. Prove me wrong if you dare"