[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] OWASP Board decision that I don't agree with

Rory McCune rorym at nmrconsult.net
Sun Jan 5 11:47:25 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Long thread is long.  I'd make a couple of point on this.

1. I'm not sure I'd say that RSA completely denies what's been said, to me
their statement was written very "carefully", not to deny that the NSA paid
them $10 million to make Dual_EC_DRBG the default RNG in BSAFE.  All you
need to have for RSAs statement to be true and the allegations to be true
is that they didn't have the "intention" of weakening their product i.e.
they did take the money they did set the default algorithm but it wasn't
their intention to weaken their security.

If they had wanted to deny the allegations they could just have said "the
NSA did not pay us $10 million to make that the default RNG" would have
been clear and unambiguous, the fact they didn't makes a reasonably strong
implication that they did.

2. A point from earlier in the thread that not attending would only be
noticed in the Infosec community.  Not sure that's the case. Definitely on
developer heavy sites like news.ycombinator.com the NSA/RSA/Snowden piece
has been heavily played and indeed last night when this thread kicked off
Errata security's piece on boycotting RSA was the top post on the site.

3. An alternative to training at RSA that's been mentioned a couple of
times, i.e. doing it at a different venue, seems plausible.  Would it maybe
be possible to do it as B-Sides SF which happens at the same time ?

4. A good point earlier about the DHS grants.  If we're happy with that,
then it seems tricky to say that we're not happy with this.

Cheers

Rory