[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] OWASP Board decision that I don't agree with

Sastry Tumuluri sastry.tumuluri at owasp.org
Sun Jan 5 06:32:30 UTC 2014

1. The immediate focus on RSAC:
No matter how we rationalize, the fact is that we (OWASP) have
options. This, at worst, is one missed opportunity. So let us not, in
our relentless pursuit of VISIBILITY, compromise on principles.

VISIBILITY is a means to an end (better security, more secure software
-- which in itself is likely a never-ending activity). Let us not
compromise on the end-goal while chasing the means.

Short term gains (of reaching some developers) will easily be lost if
we take the low road. Even 300 more "aware" developers are for naught
if, based on RSAC acceptance, just one more company feels that the
risks of trucking with NSA/GCHQ and compromising underlying
foundations are acceptable.

Is it our job/charter to "convey such a message"? I believe so.
Conversely, can we say "we merely advocate tech principles and
educate... this is not for us"? If we want to be treated as a
responsible member of the ecosystem, we can't duck like that.

Related, but a slightly different perspective: Robert Graham's blog
post on this: http://blog.erratasec.com/2014/01/why-we-have-to-boycott-rsa.html

2. The tough world of principles, ethics, etc:
Jim Manico raised a very pertinent point regarding sending mixed
messages (=> recognition-of and consistency-in-applying our
principles). It isn't easy.

Funding goes to the very heart of neutrality and ethics. So it is not
so tangential, after all. I know we shouldn't accept funds or even
projects from NSA, GCHQ, etc. Whether DHS is to be painted by the same
brush, I don't know (depends on internal structure, etc.). Let the
more knowledgeable people decide on this.

Chasing "quick results at any cost" and then splitting hairs on
legality and rationalizations will not paint us black; but will surely
park us firmly in the gray areas of ethics. Is that what we want?

Cheers,

==Sas3==