[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Board decision that I don't agree with

tonyuv at owasp.org tonyuv at owasp.org
Sat Jan 4 19:35:27 UTC 2014

In the spirit of openness, here are my thoughts from a long time chapter lead.

First some key points.  This is a MARKETING conference.  Don't kid yourself.  Beyond what you think any conference is, this is a marketing platform where most attendees make a judgment on what they are going to get out of it versus what company is headlining it. ‘RSA’ at this point isn't really even RSA….its a marketing platform.  It does not represent a medley of technology, standards, business related to what took place - which yes is offensive, revolting, and disheartening. But don’t let your emotions of taking a stand against ‘RSA’ get overly romantic to think that an OWASP decline is going to equate to a brazen stand for change. Its not.

Speaking of ‘community’, ‘strong brand’, and being the most formidable voice of AppSec in the world….please consider the audience of who attends RSA.  Please don’t include the 20-40 people you fraternize with but instead the majority of the people that have badges from a wide range of industries that you DON’T associate with.  I promise you that for the majority that attend, no one is looking to OWASP to be a beacon of truth, good or bad.  The majority, in the true literal meaning of that word, are not putting OWASP in that role.  A great litmus test is to fathom what the feedback would be in response to ‘Do you know OWASP’ aimed at a sample size of developer groups world wide.  Very quickly you’ll be humbled to see how recognizable our brand is.

This brings me full circle to the point that this is a marketing platform….just like BSides….just like ThotCon….just like Shmoocon….etc.  Don’t believe me - just look at the speaker list and (if you actually know them) you’ll see many of those same individuals/ leaders from those cons speaking at RSA 2014.  This is a marketing platform.  Better said: this is a marketing opportunity for OWASP to further our inclusiveness of developers. We need marketing. Taking a stand with figurative ‘fists in the air’ in rejection to RSA will at most trigger a few hundred retweets in your beloved InfoSec #lists and fizzle into no knowledge gained for anyone.  More long lasting are the effects of knowledge sharing that could take place to developers in a well delivered, RSA agnostic delivery and platform.

Tony UV