[Owasp-leaders] Seeking Your Feedback on OWASP Participation

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Thu Feb 20 19:13:34 UTC 2014

Glad that we're having a larger discussion on the issue.

I definitely look at missions statements, and any words that guide
behavior, in terms of the spirit and not absolute literal sense. By this I
mean that the spirit of being free and open in no way is an absolute
literal statement that applies in every possible scenario. I think we've
captured it well when we say that we are free and open provided you can
conduct yourself inline with our code of conduct.

In situations where there is a problem it's good to take the Jerry-Texas
approach of talking with a person and asking them to chill. If there's no
success a more formal follow up with a link to code of conduct is
necessary. If there are still egregious problems then you may have found
the rare situation where the purpose of organization and the community that
we've created are just not a match with the person. Again, I think this is
a rare situation, but in these times it's best to come to a polite
understanding with the person that it's just not a match and we won't be
able to continue their interaction at the particular event (whether that's
a local chapter or whatever). In all situations you hope people can reflect
and change but sometimes it's not possible.

--
Michael Coates
@_mwc