[Owasp-leaders] Seeking Your Feedback on OWASP Participation

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Feb 20 17:22:02 UTC 2014

I appreciate your feedback Steven.  For those who haven't read it, the
OWASP Code of Ethics that Steven is referring to can be found here:

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_The_Open_Web_Application_Security_Project#Code_of_Ethics

I most certainly agree that this document dictates expectations on how
those in our community should behave.  The real questions are how do we
respond to those who do not follow this code.  You bring up an interesting
point as well about the member vs non-member aspect of this.  I'd guess
that the majority of non-members who attend meetings haven't read that Code
of Ethics.  Heck, I'd guess that the majority of members haven't.  Is this
equivalent to "you didn't read the fine print" or do we have an obligation
to be more explicit here?

As you can imagine, this is far from a purely hypothetical situation and
I'm very interested to hear what our leaders think particularly about
preaching "openness" while at the same time closing the door on those who
don't conform to our Ethics.  Thank you.

~josh