[Owasp-leaders] Training & Donation

Dirk Wetter dirk at owasp.org
Mon Feb 17 20:51:33 UTC 2014

Hey Jim,

Am 02/17/2014 09:10 PM, schrieb Jim Manico:
> Dirk,
>
> I'm willing to focus my efforts around free training at places other
> than large OWASP conferences. I'm working with BSides and similar
> organizations for this purpose. I do not fully agree with the various
> conference decisions, but I respect that I'm in minority here and will
> honor OWASP leaderships desire around income preservation over
> charitable giving.

I am totally with you as far as the charitable-not-for-profit idea
goes as long there's a solid idea how we make this happening.

Whether we like it or not -- the world outside open source communities
is not open source and with conferences and operations those two worlds
cross, is the conflict: Simply speaking OWASP employees needs to get
their pay checks, conference locations charge more or less a fortune.

My not so humble guess is that other 501c3's face the same problems.

> I see OWASP more as a trade-organization-not-for-profit than a
> charitable-not-for-profit and recommend we change our 501c3 status to
> reflect that.

For a stupid overseas guy -- what's a trade-organization-not-for-profit?

Cheers,

Dirk

--
German OWASP Board, (Chair AppSec Research 2013)

Send me encrypted mails (Key ID 0xB818C039)