[Owasp-leaders] Wiki Currators

Jason Johnson jason.johnson at p7n.net
Fri Feb 14 21:48:18 UTC 2014

Leave my HIVE flowers alone :)

From: owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org
[mailto:owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of Tobias
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 12:26 PM
To: abbas.naderi at owasp.org; michael.coates at owasp.org
Cc: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] Wiki Currators

Hi,

I support the idea of volunteers cleaning up our Wiki "garden".
But I would also like to suggest someone from our ops team to look after
this in addition - for maybe about 20%+ of their time (like about 1 day per
week or more) - at least until we get to a better state.
Our Wiki pages are the most important public presentation we have as OWASP.
And at the moment their current state leaves a lot of room for improvement.

The combination of volunteers and some time of a paid ops team member could
be the recipe to get this finally improved and maintained in a consistent
quality.

Cheers, Tobias

On 14/02/14 17:56, Abbas Naderi wrote:

I believe we had some discussions regarding this in the distant past.

This is definitely needed, and a real top priority.

For example, a few days ago someone contacted me regarding wrong information
on the PHP Security Cheat Sheet, and I figured out that 7 people (non of
whom I knew) had added wrong content to the cheat sheet since my last edit,
with code snippets that many people were using in their software!

I'm also super busy with like 10 projects, and I usually ask other project
members to do the wiki things, but they also have a lot of problems starting
to use the wiki and making a nice looking useful page.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that we can solve this by volunteers. Maybe
volunteers outside the OWASP community, or people who are not very busy with
other stuff. Thats my personal take though.

Thanks
-Abbas

On Feb 14, 2014, at 12:45 PM, Michael Coates
<mailto:michael.coates at owasp.org> <michael.coates at owasp.org> wrote:

Leaders,

Let's stroll down analogy lane for a moment. I'll start with comparing a
wiki to a garden. A wiki gives many ideas a place to grow. But without a
gardener, or several gardeners, the plants(ideas) can grow out of control.
While there may be many beautiful flowers in the garden, they are in an
obscure mess and may look like an wild jungle from anyone that views the
garden from several feet away.

Following this (bad?) analogy I'd like to suggest the following:

We establish a group of interested volunteers to help maintain the order and
structural quality of the owasp wiki. This is very similar to the idea of
power users in wikipedia. This group is striving for order and clarity of
our information data source.

What does this mean:
1. We have a group that helps promote best practices for creating wiki pages
on the owasp wiki. This will maximize use of categories, cross referencing &
linking, etc
2. This group can help identify dead pages, old pages, duplicate content,
etc
3. This group establishes best practices for what makes a good wiki pages
(e.g. links to academic sources, research, accordance to owasp principles,
etc)
Note: This group would have no impact on the ability for people to edit
pages. Nothing would change there.

Requests from this group:
1. Update the wiki editing guidelines
2. Establish regular communication amongst your group on how to increase the
order and quality of the structure of the owasp wiki
3. Communicate this concepts out to the leaders and to new contributors to
owasp
4. Create ways of "tending the garden" so our wiki does not get out of
control

I'll post this info to the owasp global initiatives soon, but I first wanted
to get the idea out for discussion.

Thoughts? Anyone interested?

--
Michael Coates