[Owasp-leaders] AppSec APAC 2014 - Conference and Training schedule

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sun Feb 2 07:36:06 UTC 2014

Riotaro,

Being given a 4 hour speaking slot at a major OWASP conference that is
open to all participants is a very big deal. I've been doing free
trainings for OWASP for years. I even was banned from doing free
trainings at one OWASP conference because leaders worried I was taking
money away from paid trainings. Even though I do my best to brand free
trainings as "only OWASP", there are some who feel I do this for
commercial or personal gain which was never my intention.

However, personal gain is certainly a side effect when you try to do
"good". Go figure! Do the right thing, respect the OWASP brand and add
value with open arms and good things come your way. To those of you
who constantly abuse the brand you're freaking idiots because you hurt
yourselves and ostracize yourself from the community.

To counter this concern, I have been trying to invite other developer
educators to join me in this activity. It helps diffuse concerns of
abuse and brings in other perspectives to secure coding and WebAppSec.

So while I commit to this free event and will take lead on ensuring
quality, I still want to extend an invitation for other educators to
join me on stage in Tokyo, especially if you speak Japanese and live
in Florida. (You know who you are my favorite German).

Aloha,
--
Jim Manico
@Manicode