[Owasp-leaders] ZAPping the OWASP Top 10

Dirk Wetter dirk at owasp.org
Fri Aug 29 17:17:12 UTC 2014

Hi Simon,

looks better .

Excuse my stubbornness ;-) but from my perspective it's still kind of
misleading as the view (well, to be honest: my view) on testing is different.

The OWASP Top 10 is still an awareness document. As opposed to the
testing guide the OWASP Top 10 are not for testing neither with ZAP or
Nessus (cough) or anything else. The OWASP Top 10 are also not complete
as the underlying vulnerabilities are concerned. Just think about logic flaws,
timing attacks, local/remote file inclusion, etc...

It's also simplifying the view within the Top 10: In the world of awareness
I understand that DOM XSS, reflected and persistent XSS as risks go into
one category (well besides stored XSS, but that's off topic).
>From a testers perspective I would definitely distinguish between those
three.

I would put that more into perspective, if now change the approach.

Cheers,

Dirk

--
German OWASP Board, (Chair AppSec Research 2013)
Send me encrypted mails (Key ID 0xB818C039)