[Owasp-leaders] ZAPping the OWASP Top 10

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Fri Aug 29 04:46:10 UTC 2014

Simon,

I like this idea. I’m all for transparency. The more the better.

But one thing that’s needed is clarity on how effective and complete the techniques/aids are. For example, if any tool has 1 capability in each of the 10 areas, then some (even many) people might presume that the tool can detect all issues in all 10 areas, where in reality, the tool can only help in all ten areas, and the question is, how much? And that’s hard to quantify.

The question is, is it worth trying (i.e., does that make it more clear).

For example, if we said (just making something up), that ZAP could help identify a couple of small weakness in the area of authentication, but overall can’t do very much. So lots of manual design analysis and testing is still required. But it can be really helpful finding many XSS flaws, so less additional manual effort is required. Does that make it more clear? I think it does on one hand, but because its so hard to quantify and describe, it muddies the water on the other hand.

-Dave

p.s. I know I’ve done general analysis of which areas of the Top 10 lend themselves (or not) to automated analysis. I’d just have to find it again. It might be reflected in what went into ASVS version 1.