[Owasp-leaders] Proposing new guidelines to start code/tool projects

Colin Watson colin.watson at owasp.org
Thu Aug 28 19:23:04 UTC 2014

Timur

> I suggest that even better spending would be to create professional document
> guideline for OWASP, how to create professional guides - it is not rocket
> science (even w/o PhD,)). Not only guide but QA criteria.

OWASP has paid many agencies and contractors lots of money to do
graphical design work, such as for corporate documents and events. But
I have always been unable to get the source design files (Illustrator,
InDesign, Quark etc) released. That makes it much harder for
volunteers as we have to start from scratch each time. I thought
"everything OWASP did is open", but that isn't the case for such
things.

It took me almost 3 years of begging and chasing to get hold of the
2008-9 guidebook cover files, and never managed to squeeze the files
out of OWASP for the rest of the stuff that has been paid for. OWASP
even paid for the design of web-resolution icons and logos, but OWASP
doesn't have any master files, so we simply cannot use them in/on our
documents or promotional materials. I am very reluctant therefore for
OWASP to pay third parties for anything that is not open sourced. It
ought to be one of the contract criteria.

Colin