[Owasp-leaders] Proposing new guidelines to start code/tool projects

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Sat Aug 23 16:46:56 UTC 2014

Leaders,

After hearing your concerns and some ideas from Kait-Disney and the project
task force members, I'm proposing the following , which hopefully will help
us reach better guidelines and less empty projects

We will allow Incubator projects a 1 year deadline BUT with the following
conditions:

   - They will need a clear deadline proposal roadmap for the next 90 days
   - We will provide an example on the wiki template of what we expect to
   see
   - We will provide a 'Start up kit' cheat sheet with all the goodies(how
   to get money for project, participate in Google Summer of code program,
   Winter of Code program, Wiki template, Project summit presentations,Github
   repository etc)
   - If they do not present a clear roadmap with deadlines, the project
   will not be accepted
   - They need to have a repository even if empty, because this will allow
   us to automate the monitoring of their progress
   - The wiki page must be COMPLETE. No empty descriptions or half info
   there. This will be not accepted.

We will create a webbot to track all wiki project pages based on the latest
updates and based on that we will create reminders every 90 days about the
activity to ALL project leaders (not just incubators).

General rules for all projects:

   - Project leaders will receive 1 reminder if the project hasn't been
   updated at all in 90 days.
   - Project leaders will receive 1 warnings  if no commit or wiki update
   has been done in 80 days or if they dont feedback with us about the
   situation of their project
   - The third one will be final and the project will be set in the
   inactive list
   - Remember you can always revive the project but you will need a roadmap
   in order to do this.

regards

Johanna