[Owasp-leaders] Proposing new guidelines to start code/tool projects

Gregory Disney gregory.disney at owasp.org
Fri Aug 22 02:20:39 UTC 2014

Repost from Kait, because she keeps getting kicked off the leaders list.
I brought this up with Johanna earlier today in regards to what should be
done with new projects.

It's my opinion that requiring new projects to have source code written
before they can become a project will alienate would be project leaders.
For many new projects, when they submit their project they have an outline
of the project and a roadmap. This is especially true for documentation
projects, which may not have a draft yet at the time they apply.

I propose instead that we continue to approve projects that have a flesh
out project outline and require that they have progress on the project
within 90 days. After 90 days, these new projects should be reviewed for
progress. This doesn't have to be an in-depth review, more of a check in
with the project leader to see if their repository is posted, if they have
source code, or a draft in cases of documentation projects.
If after 90 days, there has been no progress on the project, those project
should be considered inactive.

By making progress a requirement in the first 90 days, we can avoid the
problem we have now, which is that several projects that enjoy active
project status while having never produced anything for the project.

Please let me know what you think.