[Owasp-leaders] Proposing new guidelines to start code/tool projects

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Fri Aug 22 01:52:10 UTC 2014

Jonathan and leaders

I would love to allow idea-projects hang for a year but what I have seen
after reviewing this for almost 2 years, that the project leader looses
pressure to create something in that period and many projects in the end
die like this.

If we allow idea-projects hang for a year, the amount of work becomes quite
big with all the projects that must be reviewed and managed. This process
has failed twice, with the Global Committee and the technical advisory
board. Setting the bar higher challenges project leaders to really work on
it and not let it hang for a year, in the meanwhile, people (potential
users) of your project, visit the wiki and  get disappointed to see
anything on it.

The idea of the Whiteboard, can allow future project leaders to set this as
an idea-project and get contributors, but the expectations are different,
especially for potential users. They know that this is just an idea and the
project hasn't developed yet. When you are ready to take it to the next
step, then it becomes a tangible project , and once done that, then the
real work begins to keep the project alive and kicking, but thats much
easier to monitor than communicating through email every time to see if the
project is alive and in the meanwhile the wiki page is outdated and no code
has been produced. It damages OWASP reputation.

We need to develop and design a 'Startup' like program where we provide
training to potential project leaders how to make that idea a
prototype.Just like with 'Accelerators' . Since we work globally, I think
this should be available online (through courser for example) and have this
programs twice a year for example.

regards

Johanna