[Owasp-leaders] NIST, the NSA and fun with crypto reviews

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Sun Sep 15 13:44:54 UTC 2013

I haven't given up on NIST, just yet.

IMHO, AES and SHA-2 (and the upcoming SHA-3) are probably safe, the
trick is the implementation. (and I could imagine the NSA might have
subverted quite a number of implementations...)
But the algorithms themselves are public and the crypto community has
put quite some effort on scrutinizing, analyzing and breaking them.

As the NIST is under the US government control, its statements have of
course to be seen in a new light after the broad attempts of the NSA and
the US government to subvert crypto.
But, consider that NIST is using outside resources including the NSA
like other organisations, too.
So do many other open organisations like the IETF and we at OWASP, too
(just see that the NSA was looking at our ESAPI, and that we are per
definition open to all contributors....).
That means that these outside resources can try to manipulate and try to
subvert or exploit open organisations for their own goals. So the
general truth holds: be careful what you eat and diversity of
contributors and peer review are vital for good projects. When I see
standards written by only one person or only one organisation (e.g. the
NSA), it makes sense to question their motives and whether this is the
best technology to choose.

Having said that, at this moment I see that NIST has fallen prey to NSA
activities (and possibly collaborated in some cases), but IMHO that does
not necessarily mean to abandon everything they did in total when it
comes to some of the crypto standards which received a broad public
review from many crypto scientists around the world.

All the best, Tobias