[Owasp-leaders] NIST, the NSA and fun with crypto reviews

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sat Sep 14 23:28:01 UTC 2013

I am personally aborting NIST standards when I can.

>From AES -> Serpent and Twofish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_(cipher) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twofish
>From SHA -> Whirlpool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_(cryptography)

And as for the NSA subverting crypto standards, take a look at our own experience at the ESAPI for Java project.

Back in June 2010 the NSA graciously agreed to review the crypto of the ESAPI for Java project:

> [Esapi-dev] NSA to perform ESAPI review
> http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/esapi-dev/2010-June/000816.html

The made a few suggestions to make it "stronger" but otherwise validated our implementation.

Now flash forward to this month.

> [Esapi-dev] ESAPI Java and Authenticated encryption implementation
> http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/esapi-dev/2013-August/002285.html

They did not add anything that was malicious, but Ooops! they missed something important.

The has been fixed, however.

> [Esapi-dev] Crypto and the "ESAPI for Java" release 2.1.0
> http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/esapi-dev/2013-September/002291.html

We live in interesting times.

Aloha,
Jim