[Owasp-leaders] September Global Chapter Meetup

Jonathan Marcil jonathan.marcil at owasp.org
Wed Sep 4 03:32:26 UTC 2013

Hey guys, here's some details after Yvan's comments:

On 2013-08-30 13:04, Yvan Boily wrote:
> * Live streaming
> Users who intend to watch the stream can very easily just go to
> youtube.  No software required, no account necessary.  Can't get more
> open than that :D
It also works by default on mobile with the YouTube App.

> * Turn around time
> Editing and uploading videos (and transcoding if you use other tools)
> takes a fair amount of time.  With the on air stuff I am not entirely
> sure what Jonathon had to do after the fact, but the video is streamed
> and recorded on youtube, so I expect it is just an editing of meta data
> issue.
You have literally nothing to do : the hangout on air auto-save and
publish itself on YouTube with the same URL as the live event.

If you need to cut out parts of the talk (let's say the beginning),
YouTube provides an online tool for that, no download required. The
update is rather slow, but less than having to re-upload the whole video.

> The only drawback that I know of is that there are fewer direct channels
> for interaction, but given that the intention is to support a large
> audience I would prefer to have a moderated interactive chat used for
> questions instead, which I hope to have arranged for the 15th.

I very much liked the way Yvan handled the Twitter questions with
#OWASPCanada hashtag last time. Also it has the power to attract more
people to the conversation than a closed chat.

One thing I'm less sure is the comments on YouTube. It's live, works
well, but people needs to be authenticated to YouTube to do so (Google
Account) and is not as open. Any other channel would be the same, but I
understand that some people are still on IRC nowadays (I am!). I suggest
to use existing infrastructure for that instead of building new stuff
around that will require registration of some sort or will not work as
well as proven mediums.

That said, if you don't like relying on "the cloud" for keeping the
recording, you can also download the recording in a mp4 container.
YouTube recorded our last hangout in this format:
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 30.00fps
Audio: AAC 44100Hz stereo 192Kbps

It also works the other way around, if you have any offline recording
you can upload it to YouTube too.

One thing we must not forget is the ways the recording will be found.
The more it's searchable, the more the results are appealing, the better
it is, and YouTube also provides that.

Anyways, I finally have the time starting this week to work on the
global OWASP YouTube project, I'll play with the account and experiment
what can be done, and then reports back to you guys.

See ya online wherever it is,

- Jonathan