[Owasp-leaders] OWASP DOM based XSS definition, which looked a little off

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Thu Oct 24 11:10:40 UTC 2013

There are edge cases where contextual output encoding is not the right
control. For example, when you use TinyMCE and similar UI widgets.
These submit untrusted HTML within a form parameter.

In this case we need HTML sanitizers, such as htmLawed for PHP or the
OWASP HTML Sanitizer for Java.

I prefer to sanitize both on input to ensure I save "safe" HTML in the
database (and also as potential attack detection). I also suggest the
same sanitization in the UI on output to ensure my UI templates are
fully injection resistant regardless of the kind of data that reaches
dynamic variables in the UI.

I'm sure most of you know this already, but I just wanted to put it
out there for completeness.

Regards,
--
Jim Manico