[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Project Sponsorship - What Model does OWASP want?

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Thu Oct 10 17:30:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Dennis Groves <dennis.groves at owasp.org>wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2013, at 20:33, Chris Schmidt wrote:
>
>  Another point worth bringing up is that I think it is a mistake to posit
>> that organizations cannot target their contributions to a specific
>> project simply because while we may wish that organizations would
>> embrace OWASP as a whole, it is much more likely that they are embracing
>> projects that they use, and being selfish "individuals", orgs want to
>> further development on the stuff that they are actively using.
>>

> However, as a registered non-profit - we are actually already required by
> law to do this. By law donators may dictate exactly how they want the funds
> used. Anybody may make a donation to a project or chapter and not to the
> foundation. And not only must we do this we must be able to demonstrate our
> compliance with the donators wishes. Incidentally the IRS does audit for
> this regularly; and it is the fastest way to loose your non-profit status.

Sarah brought this exact issue up recently. We are looking to add a check
box to donations that asks if the donation can, if necessary, be
reallocated by the organization for another use. The purpose of this is not
so OWASP can take money from project funds, instead the purpose is to allow
the project (if they choose) to donate the funds back to OWASP foundation
or for another use and not violate non-profit requirements. Without the
consent of the person giving the donation the money is locked into the
original project - regardless of whether the project goes dormant, wants to
donate it back to a different part of OWASP, or any other scenario.

This doesn't impact our donation model, just an item I thought I'd mention
since it was discussed.

-Michael