[Owasp-leaders] My views on Sarah's appointment

Jerry Hoff jerry at owasp.org
Thu May 30 14:45:51 UTC 2013

Hello OWASP leaders,

I am responding to this email a little late, but I definitely want to provide an different perspective on the treatise Dinis presented here.

Folks, OWASP is a completely volunteer organization for security enthusiasts to do good in the world by making application security more visible.  It is one of the most interesting organizations I've ever been a part of.

To that degree, when we all volunteer our time and energy, we want it to be as effective as it possibly can be.  OWASP is a platform, we provide the expertise, and the world benefits.  The effectiveness of OWASP as a platform directly impacts the effectiveness of every OWASP project and piece of output.

Recently, our democratically elected board decided to appoint an executive director for OWASP.  As a frequent OWASP contributor, I want to say THANK YOU BOARD.  This is a critical step is moving AWAY from being an "old boys club" towards a more polished and coherent group, and a great thing to make OWASP more effective as a platform.

OWASP is turning the corner.  I think the partially completed & sometimes outdated wiki pages, the abandoned projects, and communication issues have held OWASP back from achieving our full potential.  With someone as passionate about OWASP as Sarah Baso gently guiding the ship, allowing us to focus our efforts and magnifying the power of the platform, I believe OWASP is set to move to the next level.

Also, it gives me good feelings to see a board actually distributing power with the creation of new positions and roles instead of holding onto it.  Very cool guys.

Congratulations Sarah and way to go board!

All the is just my opinion - I just didn't want Dinis's well-articulated opinion to be seen as the universal sentiment.  Disagreements and flames can be sent to me personally or we can move it over to the governance list.

Ciao,
Jerry

--
Jerry Hoff