[Owasp-leaders] My views on Sarah's appointment

Dinis Cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Fri May 24 16:05:51 UTC 2013

Well I have written a model I like on An Idea of a new model for
OWASP<http://blog.diniscruz.com/2012/10/an-idea-of-new-model-for-owasp.html>
,
which if you look at it is based on an OWASP structure:

a) driven by the OWASP leaders energy, activities and actions
b) supported by a strong, cohesive, motivated and empowered OpsTeams (i.e
OWASP employees)
c) kept in check by a group (which you can call a 'Board' if you want) that
mainly deals with community/cultural issues

And I quite like your reference of Ricardo
Semmlers<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Semler>and its
Industrial
democracy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_democracy> , and if more
organizations (like OWASP implement similar models, then it will
stop becoming an outlier model :)  )

I also agree that what is done is done and nothing can be done about it,
which is why I proposed a number of solutions in my blog
post<http://blog.diniscruz.com/2013/05/sarah-baso-as-owasp-executive-director.html>
specially
the first two, which are aimed at fixing the new OpsTeam model that break
the b) point made above

My key problem with the current OWASP structure is that we evolved into a
model where there is a huge amount of really talented OWASP leaders spent
on 'organisational and political' stuff, which frankly should be handled
and delegate to the OPsTeam. We need energy spent on getting stuff done and
fixing application security challenges, not be involved in political fights.

Dinis Cruz