[Owasp-leaders] Your input/ help requested for EC grant project proposal?

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Thu May 2 10:03:06 UTC 2013

Hi  Samantha

This is my(draft) proposal idea based on what I spoke with you. This is
just a concept on how I think you can create the proposal and my knowledge
about how EU funds work for this part. What I know from EU funds is that
the grant is provided depending on the goals you have accomplished and you
get your funding as far as you deliver what you originally planned.

Project Main objectives:
*To improve the Quality Assurance of the OWASP open source tools and
documentation/ user manuals related to these tools.*

For the project period, we need to determine specific goals with project
leaders .Most probably they have already identified  the highest priorities
within their projects.It will be great if each project leader can send you
a list of their improvement areas so the plan becomes concrete.

 Right now we are very depended on volunteers and contributors to realize
these improvements, but in this setup, we need to specify per projects
which items require the most attention and then set them in a plan with a
deliverable. Contributors will need to compromise to make this happen.This
is the highest risk within the project.

Project leaders will need to identify the specific areas where their
project need the most work on this part. Once an inventory has been done, a
specific budget could be allocated

*Implementation plan

*
*Phase 1 (1 to 3 months)*:Evaluate the highest priorities for improvement
within each OWASP project
*
*
*Enhancement and bug fixing for Software projects *:Most projects , such as
OWASP ZAP (for example) have a database of bugs ranking from higher to
lower priority. The Project leader will need to identify which bugs need
the fastest fix and using a scrum methodology we need to set this up in
sprints to be able to deliver the fixes in a specific time.
*
*

*Improve Documentation/ Video instructional videos and User manuals:*
Make an inventory of the necessary documentation per project and their need
of improvement. Create a budget for copy writers/editors or technical
writers to help on this part

*Visually Enhancement and editing of Instructional materials (such as Code
review guide):*
I think a nice design & editing can make this books look more appealing to
readers

*Get new contributors:*

   - Recruit Contributors at Universities:Projects such as Google of summer
   of code help to find new contributors, but in the case of this project, we
   can look to team up with research students at different universities. Part
   of this goal is to get candidates in their final year who need a project to
   work on and OWASP can offer a platform for research and development.Part of
   the budget could go to promote this activity. I thinkis wise to allocate
   budget for promotional activities within universities to recruit students

   - Recruit contributors at Security Conferences:I think this is already
   been done, but you can setup part of the budget for this activity within
   the grant

*
*
Phase 2( 6 months - 1 year): Planning & Execution*
*

*Define a time-plan of deliverable*
Once the priorities has been identified within each project, it will be
determined together with the project leader , a time planning with specific
deliverable.

Code Review Guide  has  a clear plan already for example, so you just need
to add this on the project, also you could allocate more budget for Layout
and design(just an idea)

Software project Example:
OWASP ZAP new report module improvement
goal: create new reports (x, y, z) with visually appealing charts etc...
Add new formats (PDF)
Development: Sprint 1, Sprint 2, Sprint X...
 User Functional Test period: 3 weeks...
User Acceptance Test: 2 weeks
Project time : 3 months
*
*
*Execute plan*
During a period of 7 months to 1 year, will team up with project leaders to
deliver the goals setup in the plan.

Phase 3( 6 months -to 1 year)
Documentation & User manuals/ Video instructional videos after software
improvements
I think this is a big area that most tools can use since I think
contributors dedicate a big deal in creating the tools but little in
updating and improving user manuals, especially for first time users.
Here, again based on the improvements done on the software tools/ manuals,
we can allocate a budget for this each section.

After having make improvements and changes in the software, the necessary
update in manuals (maybe hire a graphic designer/ Video Editor) to make
this more appealing. I think OWASP should consider that making
documentation visual appealing is a very important part of getting the
software appeal to more target groups.

Phase 4 : Evaluation
This is also important. In the end, we need to evaluate if we reached the
goals originally setup and how far did we get.

Let me know what you think of. Hope these ideas match the goals for this
project and we can all benefit on this part. Count on me to contribute as
part-time project manager to realize these goals in the proposal

Best regards

Johanna