[Owasp-leaders] C Based Toolchain Hardening Cheat Sheet

Tim tim.morgan at owasp.org
Sun Mar 10 17:39:10 UTC 2013

This is great.  We definitely need a good reference for this stuff.

One thing I've noticed about this and other resources that discuss
these flags is that they don't offer a way to test to make sure the
desired options are actually taking effect.  I've found that with GCC,
if you don't use the flags in the right combinations and at the right
time in the build process, it can fail to apply options you thought
you had specified.  And worse: it can fail silently in this respect.

I have found this tool to be helpful in verifying several of these
build options in compiled libraries and executables:
  http://www.trapkit.de/tools/checksec.html

I recommend adding a link to it and any other tools that can help in
this area for other platforms.

A second observation:  Often when developers come to figure out what
they need to do to harden their binaries, they just want a bulleted
list of flags they need to add and where.  That is, a true cheat
sheet.  The current prose descriptions of options is definitely useful
in explaining what each of these things does, and I wouldn't change
the format.  However I suggest adding in a separate section a summary
of options organized by compiler/platform that can achieve all of the
suggested hardening steps so developers can quickly zero in on the
actionable steps needed for their software.

Thanks to Jeffrey and other contributors for getting this started.
Keep up the good work.

tim